Sally Jane Smith – glass bead artist.
Welcome to my glass studio. I am based in Whanganui on the West Coast of New Zealand.
My creative life started in a tiny farming community called Rapaura in Marlborough, New Zealand. It began at the local School Flower Show where I worked for weeks painting my entry for the art prize which I was determined to win each year.
Studying Textile Design, then working in Wellington as a textile designer I was attracted overseas. My 6 month trip to North America turned into an extensive journey on the continents of Australia, North/South America, United Kingdom, Europe and Africa .
When I returned to New Zealand I started lecturing at Wellington Polytechnic Fashion School which developed into a career teaching art and design in Wellington, Christchurch and Whanganui. This was supported by gaining a Masters in Adult Education focusing on drawing, design and creativity.
While living in Whanganui I discovered flame working glass when my partner Adam gave me a kiln, torch and the materials to make glass beads. This was a journey of discovery as I completed classes and practiced the art of handcrafting glass beads which I make into jewellery.
10 things you may know about me…
- The first concert I went to was Simon and Garfunkel.
- I had my ears pierced when I was 25 and it hurt.
- I love the colour blue…blue skies, blue sea’s…
- I am addicted to holidays in Rarotonga.
- 5 grain toast with fresh garden tomatoes rocks. (especially when I grew the tomatoes)
- Trelise Cooper skirts are the bomb.
- I have been driving since I was 8. I started on tractors rounding up sheep but it was still driving.
- I have had my Lotto house picked out for the last 20 years; you’ll find it on Instagram and Pinterest.
- Hitching round the world was 65% a blast, 25% boring and 10% scary as all hell.
- My name is Sally Jane, not Sally, Mary Jane or Sally-Jane. (Just thought I should clear that up)
I would love to hear from you so send a postcard to Sally Jane Smith, 1 Wairere Road, Bastia Hill, Whanganui 4500, New Zealand, or email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or +6421 261 3526 to text or call.
“Vivid glass bead jewelry created for you”